Following a discussion with the Bureau of Meteorology and consultation with the South Australia Jockey’s & Trainer’s Associations, and consideration of a number of other factors, TRSA advises that a decision has been made to proceed, at this point in time, with the twilight race meeting scheduled for Morphettville on Friday 20 December 2019. In making their decision to continue with the race meeting, TRSA had regard for the following;
- The forecast weather conditions as provided by the Bureau of Meteorology for the Morphettville precinct, noting that the coastal proximity of Morphettville Racecourse will provide cooler highs when compared with the forecast at Kent Town in the City.
- The TRSA Heat Policy - In this regard TRSA notes that Policy Level 2 (when the forecast ambient is 38°C or above) includes the following measures, which will be taken;
(i) An additional veterinarian will be engaged for the race meeting increasing the number of veterinarians from two (2) to three (3).
(ii) Activating the water misters and fans in the horse stalls area at Morphettville.
(iii) Placing water buckets and hoses in the mounting yard, and parade ring areas and water/ice supplies at the barriers.
(iv) All horses being observed by a veterinarian when presented in the mounting yard pre-race, on arrival at the barriers, on return to the race day stall area post race and while present in the swabbing area.
- Race scheduling – commencing Race 1 at a time when the forecast ambient is expected to be below 40°C, noting further that the forecast is for the ambient temperature to continue to decline post 5.00pm.
- Intervals between races – allowing, where possible, for a 30 minute gap between races.
- Arrival times for horses to be on course – reducing the requirement for horses to be on course from two (2) hours to one (1) hour prior to their engagements.
- The number of races scheduled – reducing the number of races scheduled from nine (9) to seven (7) to fit the proposed scheduling referred to above.
Consequently, the amended race schedule is as follows:
Race 1 – 5.00pm
Race 2 – 5.30pm
Race 3 – 6.10pm
Race 4 – 6.40pm
Race 5 – 7.10pm
Race 6 – 7.40pm
Race 7 – 8.10pm
The following two races on the program have been deleted – programming for the Gawler meeting is currently being assessed.
- The 3YO Colts & Geldings Maiden over 1050m.
- The 3YO Fillies Maiden over 1050m.
Chief Operating Officer - TRSA
Chairman of Stewards - TRSA